Hampton Reading Initiatives
At Hampton we are always looking for ways to promote reading and provide opportunities for reading. Some of the initiatives we have at our school are:
- Year 5/6 Reading Buddies who read with our KS1 children at lunchtimes and read during arranged story time sessions in the school day
- Reading for pleasure every day in every classroom. Children have this time to listen to an adult read to them to promote and model the enjoyment of reading and becoming lost in a book.
- Regular Story Assemblies delivered by the SLT, Year Group Managers and Reading Leads.
- A fantastic library scheme run by our Year 6 librarians and available for children to change their books at lunchtimes.
- ‘100 books to read before you leave KS1’ and ‘100 books to read before you leave KS2’ Challenges.
- Regular author visits
- After school book clubs run during the year
- Book Weeks and children’s dress ups
- Family Reads
- An Extreme Reading Competition